Thursday 23 May 2013

Bits and Bobs


I've thought long and hard about what I was going to devote my first “real” post to. There have been many things in popular media that I felt deserved attention, but also felt that they deserved a more experienced set of eyes on them than I can possibly offer at this point. The terrorist related murder of a 25 year old father in Britain, the tornado and the destruction it caused in America and the rejection of the “Right to Die” Bill in New South Wales. So, in short, I feel a fair compromise is a quick dedication to these events before moving onto my main topic. A topic I am in no way an amateur; Cricket. Yes, I'm a novice when it comes to Politics and even Doctor Who, a novice with a passion, but a novice nonetheless. But Cricket? I've been playing, studying and watching the art of Cricket for 15 or more years now, so I feel entitled to comment on that.

My heart goes out to the innocent father struck down in London, simply because of his occupation, by so called “Islamic Terrorists”. That said, I in no way blame Islam; nor do I blame real Muslims for this atrocity. The extremists are misguided and do not follow the real Islamic faith at all; they are denounced by the real Muslims unanimously and refuse to believe anything other than what they've been brainwashed with. Speaking of, this whole situation is eerily similar to the violent Cults (The KKK and The Branch Davidian's (Waco) come to mind) that plagued the US years ago; they're denounced unanimously by Christians and the World alike. So, what is the difference? Simply put, the current terrorists claim to be Muslim and people don't like something they don't understand. Its too easy for the popular media to take cheap shots and easy ratings by blaming Islam as a whole for a product of extremist intolerance. The sooner popular media realises this and we, as a whole, stop blaming real Muslims for what some evil misguided people do, the better. Tolerance breeds tolerance people, you cant expect people to be tolerant of us when we are not tolerant of them.

Again, I feel the utmost sympathy for those who lost everything in America recently. People have lost their homes and businesses as well as their children, brothers, sisters, mothers or fathers. To lose so much and to have the strength to go on is absolutely amazing. What I don't understand, however, is why they build “up” again in Tornado Alley. Surely underground homes would be the safer option and whilst more expensive in the short term, since you're not rebuilding your home once a decade it would quickly be the cheaper option too. A safer and cheaper option should be a “godsend” for these people. We do this in Coober Pedy simply due to the extreme heat, so why not in America when there are Tornado's to contend with?

Lastly, politicians of Australia -- Why cant people choose when they die? What gives you the right to choose this most personal of decision? What makes you think you can understand the pain these people are going through? They do not come to a decision to want to end their lives “Just Because”; its the hardest decision they will ever have to make in their lives and you are taking this choice away from them. You are all heartless monsters and I hope one day you find yourself in the position these people are in but not being able to choose to end the pain because the Government says “Nein!”. Take this issue and Gay Marriage to a Referendum, let the Australian people decide. Not what you think the Australian people want. I think the way Australia is at the moment you'd get a “Yes” to Right to Die and a “No” to Gay Marriage and thus we're sorted on two long running and (in the grand scheme of things) unimportant issues for 5-10 years. Who knows? By then it may well be Yes, Yes – no one knows.

Well look at that, I ended up dedicating my entire first post to recent popular media events. I guess I was up for it after all. Cricket is for next time, readers.

~The Opine Observer

No comments:

Post a Comment